Week 2 Story


The Alligator and the Raccoons Heart

Once upon a time, a cliche... I know, but the story has to start somewhere. In the beginning down in the mystical land of Jimmy Buffet fans, Hawaiian shirts, and retirement we come across a nice swamp in Florida. Here we meet a clever raccoon who lived along the shores of the swamp. The raccoon spent his sunny Florida days collecting and eating trash that he found in the nearby park that nestled up nicely along the water line of the swamp. Just down the swamp lived an Alligator who lived with his wife. One day the Alligator was swimming through the swamp and realized he could not find any food. The Alligator soon came upon the Raccoon who was enjoying some half eaten sandwiches and some chip crumbs, a typical trash meal for the clever Raccoon. The Alligator asked kindly to share in the Raccoons meal, which he happily accepted the company. Overtime the Alligator and the Raccoon became best of friends spending many hours together and of course sharing trash meals. Well, overtime the Alligator's wife became jealous and frustrated that all his time was being spent away from her. So one day the Alligators wife says "that Raccoon is occupying all of your time, oh and you have gotten fatter since you started eating garbage" she said with a very stern and assertive tone. The Alligator looked at his wife, whom he loved so much although in this moment he was indeed questioning his choice of marriage but none the less he loved his wife, so he said "Im sorry dear, what can I do to make it up to you?" just like every loving husband should do. His wife responded "I have a craving for raccoon heart". The Alligator only knew of one raccoon in the area and was pained to think that he would have to sacrifice his friend. Hesitantly the Alligator responded with "Of course dear, anything for you", and off he went. He swam to his friend the Raccoon and invited him to ride on his back to "a new garbage dump". They swam through the swamp discussing trash meals and then suddenly, the Alligator began to sink down into the water. "HEY, what's the big idea here buddy" the Raccoon exclaimed! The Alligator responded with "my wife, she is hungry for raccoon heart and well, you are a raccoon". The wise and clever Raccoon responded with "Ohhh, you want my heart, well I keep it locked away over by my park to protect it. Swim back and I will happily get it for my friend". The Alligator quickly turned around and returned the Raccoon to the park, "HA, you fool" the Raccoon responded, "you are incredibly foolish to think I would keep my heart in the same place as my food". The Raccoon reminded the Alligator "sometimes you are wise, but you are foolish for thinking I would let you eat my heart". The Alligator swam away defeated into the swamp and slowly faded into the Florida sunset. 
The End.
Bobs Burgers "King Trashmouth" GIF from Imgur



Authors Note:
With writing this story, I took inspiration from a photo I posted on my Reading Notes blog. I thought "a raccoon and an alligator" now thats an American story right there. In addition I took inspiration from "The Princess Bride" and other movies that break the 4th wall, even though I only broke it a tiny bit. But I thought a bit of humor and a pretty fun twist on the characters would be a cool touch. 



Bibliography: The Crocodile and the Monkey's Heart Eastern Stories and Legends by Marie L. Shedlock. Story source

Comments

  1. I loved your crocodile and racoon story the dialogues definitely made the whole concept clear the fact that calmly the racoon said that his heart was locked way somewhere else and the crocodile bought it shows how stupid and dumb he was and your picture is amazing I see the racoon head moving that definitely is a plus. The hungry crocodiles wife jelousy is clearly portrayed through description and dialogues I loved reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally had to go and look at that picture from your Reading Notes post. Freaking awesome! I love nature!

    This story was a lot of fun. I enjoyed your use of humor and while I didn't see it at first, I do a a Princess Bride vibe from the ending. (Side Note: The Princess Bride is an outstanding movie! Absolute classic.) The setting of the Florida swamp was a nice touch. My folks live in southern Florida and the setting of the swamp is just too perfect for this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disclaimer: I’ve never seen “The Princess Bride,” but I’ll take your word that you took inspiration from it! The humor was a nice little touch to the original story. I enjoyed hearing your take on this story. I never would have thought to rework it in this way, it was simple and fun! I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started with your Author's Note, so upon reading I was instantly charmed by your first couple of sentences since I can totally see the "all American" theme coming through with Jimmy Buffet fans in the swampland of Florida with their Hawaiian shirts! The dynamic between the sassy wife and her husband who wants to obey her wishes is great. Such a fun, ironic character the alligator- for a fierce creature he is quite foolish. I can totally see how you put your own spin on the original, it's been done very well! Just watch some little grammar things here and there with the punctuation. Also, I love the gif you chose from Bob's Burgers, such an underrated show!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Pilot

Comment Wall

Storytelling Week 3