Feedback Strategies

I read How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk and right of the back I knew this sounded familiar but I couldn't figure our where from. Then I saw the author Adam Grant, I have read and listened to his podcasts and articles for two business classes so far and he has a lot of good ideas on both workplace and life in general. We even discussed this topic in our HR class. The basic idea is don't hide the bad between the good, and I agree completely. You need to be honest but not brutal to. Constructive criticism is good, but if there is something bad it needs to be addressed. As a flight instructor I often have to ride that line of too far and not far enough in my evaluations. Sometimes unfortunately we need to be a jerk to the student but there is definitely a limit and we often know where that line is drawn. The idea of burry the bad in between the good is a cop out. If something stands out you need to address it professionally. Sometimes dancing around the problem is more hurtful than good.

The second one I read was The Trouble with “Amazing”: Giving Praise that Matters. Everyone is going to find out real quick Im going to relate everything to me instructing my students. Im going to focus in on Reason 3: It Praises the Person, Not the Effort. I agree completely with this statement, I was never the student who read a book once and watched a video and then I am a natural stick (natural stick is pilot lingo for natural ability). I had to re-read re-watch and get chewed out by my instructor until I got it. With every new instructor I would begin with "please don't sugar coat it tell me exactly how I performed", the reason why, so I knew how hard I needed to prepare for my next lesson. I have students who are natural sticks but never put in the effort outside of the airplane because they find its significance to be lacking or just not important. So if you praise the person because they do everything perfectly you aren't seeing the bigger picture, you need to see to what level did they go to perform at this level. Because sometimes it's just surface level performance.

Me personally I need feedback, because I want to know how to perform to the next level. I want to be  the best and I know I need people telling me what I am doing wrong and allow myself to create a strategy to be better.
Anonymous Meme from Mems Happen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Pilot

Storytelling Week 3