Reading Notes Ramayana Part B

This Part of the Ramayana seems like the "everything bad is going to get worse" part of the epic. Soley based off of Bharata Returns and Dashartha's funeral. However, this is what sets in motion the rest of the story. This is the "trial stage" of the story. Here Rama will be put through many of his trials that I think will help and shape him for the future. From my limited knowledge of epics I think there is a trend of fail, succeed, fail, succeed, fail, learn, prevail. Im curious to know if this trend continues as the story progresses. Looking a head to the end of part B with Shabari you can see what is now, I would say, a "cliche". And it is the "old wise lady/man" and they have a great amount of wisdom to deliver to the weary traveler. I am slowly starting to see many of the connections to modern movies and tails and how the all kind of seem to fit this mold that was created way back when. I like however how this part of the story is a bit poetic, which I think helps portray the wisdom of the environment that Rama and Lakshmana are in. I couldn't help but think of Merlin from the "Sword in the Stone" during the story of Shabari.
Merlin from Disneys Sword in the Stone


Bibliography:

Bharata Returns, by Donald A. Mackenzie

Shabari, translated by Ralph T.H. Griffith   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to a Pilot

Storytelling Week 3